Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:19 am

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:16 pm 

@evr, i see ...
so u wanna stream to another device with recorded files via FM & other analogue? I thought you wanted a way to send the fm from the x30 to another networked device at a different location :)
The title is "streaming FM..." is a bit confusing.
I think you can try making the recorded files shareable & then use an app to send them to another device.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:14 pm 

dteaudio wrote:
@evr, i see ... so u wanna stream to another device with recorded files via FM & other analogue?
No! ... I do know how to stream any file stored in the X30 ... Looks like I do not find a way to make myself understood... Sorry about that.
dteaudio wrote:
I thought you wanted a way to send the fm from the x30 to another networked device at a different location :)
Yes. This is exactly what I mainly wished! ... How may it possible that nobody else has ever missed this possibility?
dteaudio wrote:
The title is "streaming FM..." is a bit confusing. [...]
Well, it is actually not ;)

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:30 pm 

ajct wrote:
'Ports' are the options for sending music eg toslink, aux
Thanks ajct. Using toslink and aux ports (and cables) is clear, but it is clearly not an option to send audio signals across your home rooms (wiring again my house with additional specific-purpose wires is obviously out of question!). I just want to use my gigabit lan (and maybe also wifi) network to send the X30 live audio signal (whatever its source), to renderer devices in other rooms.
ajct wrote:
or even network based (which can be extensive ...)
Yea, this is what I want! Do you know whether/how can it be done?

Best,

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:00 pm 

@Evr Renderer only works through a network, plus you need some form of controller to access the server.
The X30 can't send an analogue to a renderer, especially from a stream!
Probably via bluetooth but the renderer has to support BT & X30 hasn't got BT.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:53 pm 

tech1a wrote:
@Evr Renderer only works through a network, plus you need some form of controller to access the server. The X30 can't send an analogue to a renderer, especially from a stream! Probably via bluetooth but the renderer has to support BT & X30 hasn't got BT.
Thanks tech1a.

Technically speaking, what we do with DLNA and UPnP is not "streaming". It is in fact very similar to mounting a network storage: you access folders and files; NOT (digital) signals. Proper streaming is what Internet radio stations provide: They put a (digital) audio signal in a "stream" and the stream is served through the Internet. With iRadio (e.g) you get the stream; not folders and files -- you get the stream in real time. This is different from downloading, where you can obtain the data faster than when it is rendered. When you are receiving a stream, if you pause it, you loose data (unless you provide enough buffering, of course). When you resume playing, the stream is not rendered from the point you stopped it, but from the audio which is being played (broadcasted) at the resume time.

This kind of (real) streaming is not technically complex at all, and the X30, with its hardware and OS, could do it very easily -- but, unfortunately, it looks like its current firmware does not provide it. As I said in an previous post:
evr wrote:
[...]I can do this kind of streaming easily with my desktop or laptop computers; for instance, the background app gstreamer does provide general purpose streaming [...]
Gstreamer is a Linux program which could be easily compiled for the X30 MIPS platform and included in the X30 firmware. It entails only quite light computing, so the X30 (or X10/X12/X40) hardware has more than enough computing power... This would allow the X30 to act as a "local iRadio station" which broadcasts whatever audio it is playing at each moment, albeit only through the local (home) network. Of course, the renderers which would listen to this stream would have to understand the stream format provided by the X30 (but gstreamer does support several formats).

Hope my idea is now a bit more clear...

Best,

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:33 pm 

hmmm well upnp etc are actually streaming protocols designed for "streaming" but using other protocols like file sharing SMB are folder & file access...Anyway hope you managed to sort out your issue on the cocktail audio. :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 10:26 pm 

stane wrote:
hmmm well upnp etc are actually streaming protocols designed for "streaming" but using other protocols like file sharing SMB are folder & file access...Anyway hope you managed to sort out your issue on the cocktail audio. :)
Thanks for your comment, stane. As a matter of fact, all the devices/apps I know which provide UPnP and/or DLNA, are only capable of managing stored (audio) signals; not at all live signals. In this sense they are closer to, e.g., the file sharing functionality of SMB or SSHFS, than to the streaming functionality of Internet Radio (or the functionality provided, e.g., by the gstreamer linux app).

If/when I find a solution to the problem I have been talking about, I will post it here.

Best,

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:37 pm 

Admin wrote:
[...]Try the android version for our cocktail audio BF 11 speaker [...] You can't send a radio (from x30) but there are radio services & streaming on the app. [...] link: http://cocktailaudio.co.uk/FW-BF11.shtml
Thanks. I have been testing the Android version of this app (Wi-Fi Music 1.8.7). It works more or less as expected: you can "tune" any of the internet radio stations known by the app and tell the X30 to play it. You can then turn the app down and the X30 keeps tuned to that station until you decide otherwise -- This is quite convenient.
Admin wrote:
[...] You could find the online streaming version & add it on the app "custom" & send it to whatever device DLNA or UPNP or Airplay etc
I have been less lucky in this respect. I have been able to copy the intenet address of a local radio stations which is unknown to the app, add it to the app Favourites and let the X30 play it (of course this is just a useless proof-of-concept test, since I do have this station in the X30 and can play it directly from the X30). However, I did have to copy each of the 81 characters of the station address by hand, since the app does not allow to paste it on the input field!

Is this the normal behaviour of the Android Wi-Fi Music 1.8.7 app? If yes, is this problem going to be fixed in an upcoming release of the app? Without being able to copy/paste radio station addresses, the "Custom Radio" feature of the app becomes completely useless!

Thanks in advance for any info.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:29 pm 
Site Admin

There are many stations with playlists the app would accept it.
Or just get the files online & play them like a music file & save to fav.
eg.bbc radio 3 or 4

You can get the file (m3u/pls) or type into the web-gui or app.

http://open.live.bbc.co.uk/mediaselecto ... _three.pls

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r4x_aaclca.pls

There are many online...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:16 pm 

Admin wrote:
There are many stations with playlists the app would accept it. Or just get the files online & play them like a music file & save to fav. eg.bbc radio 3 or 4 You can get the file (m3u/pls) or type into the web-gui or app. [...] There are many online...
Thanks. But *typing* into the app Custom Radio input field is exactly what I said it is not an option (for me)! -- clearly, I am not like taking the pain of typing one by one the long strings of strange characters which are usually the station addresses...

And I do not understand what do you mean with "type into the web-gui" Do you mean the CocktailAudio Webinterface? ... But this is not for the Android Wi-Fi Music app.