Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:57 pm

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:47 pm 

Hi,
I have recently purchased an X30 and so far most of the features work (albeit some not as one would normally expect). But there is one feature I am interested in that does not seem to work.

I wish to hear X30 iRadio and/or FM programs through another device connected to the network; for instance, through a pair of DLNA/UpNP speakers, or through my DLNA/UpNP TV, or just through my Android tablet.

All these devices do work perfectly for playing music which stored on the X30 disk, but none of them "sees" any stream related with FM or iRadio, even when the X30 is tuned and playing some radio station.

According to the info I had read before buying the X30, I understood that it was a full-featured streamer and that seems (to me) to imply that it can stream any of its audio sources...

Any idea of what can be wrong?

Thanks in advance for any info or hint.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 2:26 pm 
Site Admin

You need to use a controller App 'wifi music'.
Try the android version for our cocktail audio BF 11 speaker - there will be more updates added soon too.
IOS is being fix, might be out of date with some features.
You can't send a radio (from x30) but there are radio services & streaming on the app.
You can send a radio to the x30 from a controller app but it depends on the format/stream type.
link:
http://cocktailaudio.co.uk/FW-BF11.shtml

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:00 pm 

Many thanks for the quick reply!

Admin wrote:
You need to use a controller App 'wifi music'. Try the android version for our cocktail audio BF 11 speaker - there will be more updates added soon too. [...] You can't send a radio (from x30) but there are radio services & streaming on the app. [...] http://cocktailaudio.co.uk/FW-BF11.shtml

I will try the app as time permits, thanks for the info. However, what I am most itireseted is to stream the FM: There are local stations which we like to hear at home which do not provide Internet broadcasting...

Should I (quite disappointingly) understand that this is not possible at all with the X30?? And what about streaming audio from an external source (AUX IN)?

Thanks in advance for any additional info.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:25 pm 
Site Admin

It's not possible to stream FM, no device can send that through a network without being online.
You could find the online streaming version & add it on the app "custom" & send it to whatever device DLNA or UPNP or Airplay etc

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:43 pm 

Admin wrote:
It's not possible to stream FM, no device can send that through a network without being online.
Not sure to understand you. What do you mean with "without being online"? I understand the X30, connected to the home network, is "on line", is it not?
Admin wrote:
You could find the online streaming version & add it on the app "custom" & send it to whatever device DLNA or UPNP or Airplay etc
What do you mean with "the online streaming version"?

Thanks again for your quick reply!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:27 pm 

I think Admin meant the FM service has to be an online service not analogue to send to another device on the network.
I use the App with the BF11, i access from server, Pro x100 & other Nas too.
There is Qobuz on the App too & some other pending ones - online streaming services.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:02 pm 

dteaudio wrote:
I think Admin meant the FM service has to be an online service not analogue to send to another device on the network. I use the App with the BF11, i access from server, Pro x100 & other Nas too. There is Qobuz on the App too & some other pending ones - online streaming services.
Thanks, dteaudio,
You are right, it seems this is what Admin meant. But that has absolutely nothing to do with my original question. Of course, if a broadcast radio station does not offer on-line broadcasting services, it can obviously not be reached by Internet Radio (i.e., as an i-Radio station).

Instead, what I want is to stream, to other devices/rooms, the audio signal which is received by the X30 through the FM aerial -- In fact I was hopping to stream any audio signal which the X30 can route to its internal amplifier and speakers; for instance, audio coming from its AUX-IN audio channel, CD audio and, MAINLY, audio coming from the X30 FM tuner!

When I had read that the X30 is a full-featured streamer I understood (wrongly, as it seems to be clear now) that it could stream any of its audio signals; not just offer DLNA/UPnP services to access the audio files stored in its hard disk (by the way DLNA/UPnP is NOT properly considered a "streaming" feature!).

I can do this kind of streaming easily with my desktop or laptop computers; for instance, the background app gstreamer does provide general purpose streaming, which can be easily used by front-end apps such as VLC or Rhythmbox.

Actually, for a price of 1000 Euros, I was expecting a really complete system -- So I find this lack quite disappointing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:52 pm 

Confusing, :? i thought you wanted to send (push) from the cocktail audio to a renderer right?
Hence the FM & internet radio won't work but unless done via a controller as Admin pointed.
For analogue just use a port to send the sound out to another device.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:49 pm 

Thanks for replying!
dteaudio wrote:
Confusing, :? i thought you wanted to send (push) from the cocktail audio to a renderer right?
Yes.
dteaudio wrote:
Hence the FM & internet radio won't work but unless done via a controller as Admin pointed. For analogue just use a port to send the sound out to another device.
Sorry, don't understand the point. What is the difference between "analogue" and "FM"? Both are analogue audio signals and both are handled by the X30 similarly or identically. For instance, both can be converted to digital and recorded and both recordings go to the same "My Recording" folder of the hard disk.
dteaudio wrote:
For analogue just use a port to send the sound out to another device.
What do you mean with a "port"? -- Obviously, I want to send it (digital) through the home ethernet (or wifi) network, not any special cable or ad-hoc wireless channel.

Thanks again,

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:07 pm 

'Ports' are the options for sending music eg toslink, aux or even network based (which can be extensive ...)