Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:59 pm

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:41 pm 

Hi guys,
I've got a Cocktail X40 that works wonderfully when playing from the disk, but if I stream a FLAC file across the network (wired), the unit's interface will hang completely for the length of the song. The song still plays, but none of the buttons work, none of the controls on the remote, and the only way to 'fix' it is to hold down the power button or wait for the song to end. Once the song ends, normal playback is available, and I can play anything from the network with out any issues at all.

This also appears on the X30. I have created a 'song' that consists of silence and is 3 seconds long in FLAC, and the behaviour is as expected. The unit hangs, but only for the 3 seconds of the song, then normal operation resumes.

This appears to be since the latest firmware update (r0011). Any ideas? Has anyone else seen this?

EDIT: It appears the issue returns upon stopping the music stream (Pressing 'Stop') and then attempting to resume. 'Buffers' for one track, then continues.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:31 pm 

What protocol are you using?
Are you using a controller ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:40 pm 

Seems like a network issue, the X30 is more stable with handling network issues (i think!).
Streaming method could also be the problem.
Using SMB example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4pv-e0gvsw

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:38 pm 

Hi Guys,
I'm streaming using the IR remote control for the units, from a MiniDLNA server via UPNP (on a Vortexbox). It appears that it's something to do with the MiniDLNA Client. Worth noting, stane, the X30 doesn't handle UPNP any better than the X40. I'll try the browser in stead of UPNP and see how I get on.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:07 pm 

Ok, it appears that using another media server - Logitech - still encounters the same issue. The first track buffers for it's entire length, regardless of the length. Adding the network share avoids the problem, but you are unable to use any metadata - it's just folder structure.

None of the other media streamers here have this issue, though I'll try a couple of other media servers. Any recommendations?

EDIT: I'm also experiencing the same issue when attempting to stream from an X10. This appears to be less of a media server issue and more of a possible DLNA or UPNP implementation in the Cocktail Audio Firmware. The X10 appears to be immune to the 'buffering' issue though.

The Web Interface appears to remain responsive during all of this, but the transport controls don't update or respond. I'll keep updating with more information as I receive it. Is there any way to get a log from the unit?

Last edited by ListeningPost on Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:20 pm 

Could be your network!
Why do you need a media server?
X30 is already a server/client based, you just need a controller...
I use their X30 & other servers on the network with controllers on my tab to stream to the BF-11 speaker.
Never had a buffereing issue even if i manually setup another server on top.
Don't know what you are doing...
X30 works better than X40 (not stable, i think).
-I normally use airplay or upnp via the controller apps or softwares - depending on the device.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:43 pm 

I've got a number of different servers and streamers on the network. I can appreciate that the X30 is it's own media server, but in the interest of not duplicating my 1tb library to a media server, an X10, an X30, an x40, and an Olive, I'd prefer to let one be the 'master'.

I understand the tendency to blame network infrastructure, as it's often the case, but I'm reasonably confident it's not strictly a network issue, as I'm experiencing no issues whatsoever with streaming to the Oppo BDP103, 103D, 105D, Moon MiND, or Yamaha Network Tuners that are on the network.

The X40 has the same issue as the X30, so in that sense it's not 'more stable'. Worth noting the x40 is overall a snappier unit, much quicker to respond generally, but unfortunately not in this instance.

UPDATE:
MinimServer didn't fare any better. It appears to be a consistent UPNP issue with the Cocktail Audio. Does anyone have any sugestions?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:28 pm 

To be honest i don't see the point of here..., nothing will be "duplicated".
Any controller can select multiple servers (& can be renamed) & play to any renderer.
The X40 doesn't stream any better than the X10.
Why not test with AIRPLAY & see?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:45 pm 

Freemartial,
You are quite right, where any streamer can see any server. What I am attempting to do is use the x30 as a playback device for music located on a server. Using the remote control provided with the x30 and the front panel navigation, the first FLAC file played across the network via UPNP hangs the unit with the 'buffering' status. Once that first song finishes, operation then resumes as normal, as long as I don't press 'stop'.

Is it not reasonable to sit in front of the unit with it's included remote control and use the beautiful on screen display to play music from another source across the network?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:20 pm 

I have rolled back the firmware to R0083 and the 'buffering' issue disappears completely. Nothing else has changed, excepting the firmware. This is pointing to a quirk with the latest version of the firmware (R0090). Is there a way to get a debug log from the unit?

UPDATE: I've updated again, and confirmed the behaviour with various UPNP controller apps. Kinskey (LINN) works well, but unless a flac file is already playing, it seems to cause the 'buffering' issue as well. The Project Box Control app simply throws an error about the renderer not supporting the filetype (FLAC). Audio Remote is spotty, working if something is already playing, but if not will throw a 'cannot play' error.

I can confirm that these apps all worked fine on the old firmware, so downgrading is the current solution.