Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:05 am

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:44 am 

I have my X10 since one year, and I really enjoy this great device!
Since my 2TB HDD still has lots of free space, I wanted to use this free space in my X10 to put movies, and then, stream them to my TV (SONY connected TV). UPnP and Samba are both enabled in my X10, and, from my network computers, I can see and access the HHD (e.g. MusicDB or LocalStorages/HDD1/Movies). So far so good.

Now, lets see what is not OK:
With my TV, in its "multimedia player", I can see the X10 device, but only with the audio files referenced in the DB. I cannot see any video file, nor other audio files as long as they are not imported in the DB. I can only display/sort the files by "Title"/"Artist"/"genre".

I've tried "\\X10\LocalStorages\HDD1\Movies" in the TV web application, but it is blocked.
I've also tried to rename a movie in .mp3 and import it in the DB. I can "see" it on the TV, but can't "read" it. Then, I renamed it in .avi as before, after being imported, but the file was no longuer seen (and I suppose that definitely not the way to do it...)

How can I access to movie files of my X10 with my TV ???
I would really appreciate if someone could help me !

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:37 pm 

Sony will probably be using dlna instead of proper upnp.
X10 doesn't really do dlna but upnp.
You could share the directory & have access via any device....

eg. I dumped movies on the hdd/movies & streamed to a tablet or other.
Made sure the directory was shared & avoided protocols like upnp or dnla.
There are ways around this....unless you still prefer to use upnp.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:26 am 

Thanks ajct for your reply.
I can access X10 directory via any network computer, but actually, what I want to do is to see the movies on my TV !
My understanding of your reply is that my TV is DLNA, and X10 is UPnP. Not 100% compatible. Does it mean there is no mean to see my X10 movies on my TV ?

You said: "Made sure the directory was shared & avoided protocols like upnp or dnla."
"There are ways around this....unless you still prefer to use upnp."
=> I don't 'prefer' UPnP, but if I disable the UPnP function in the X10, the TV doesn't access the X10 any more. Does it mean that UPnP is mandatory for my TV ?

When I connect a USB HDD to my TV, the TV sees and plays all the movies/audio files.
=> is it possible to connect the X10 to the TV in USB, via the USB TARGET port ? (I don't care if the X10 doesn't work when the TV is on). Will the X10 HDD be seen by the TV as any other USB HDD ?

Not so easy...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:37 am 

If it's just the TV then you are limited....to what the TV offers (protocol).
However you could access via other means too tablet, smartphone, TV (with upnp/dlna), smart TV & smart tv boxes...
Check the SONY if it has a smb/SAMBA/shared dir... or other protocols other than dlna.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:27 pm 

I think the problem may be more basic. The X10 is not a video player. It will only stream via UPnP the files that it has added to the database; so those are necessarily audio, not video files.

If your TV allows you to browse remote shared folders, then you could use the X10 as network storage. Don't try to put the video files in Music DB, just leave them on the hard disk, and the X10 will share them via SMB (the same protocol that Windows uses).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:55 am 

Thanks for your replies!
Yesterday, I've connected my TV to the USB Target port. Then, the X10 switches to USB mode, and the TV is able to access all the media files (including movies) of the HDD. This means I have a workaround for my problem.
Network connection would have been preferred (permanent network cable instead of USB cable to plug/unplug), but it seems that my TV and the X10 don't speak the same language!
The TV is able to access to all media files of a network computer. I suppose UPnP is used (not Samba), because only the media files are seen and accessed. Not like in an explorer.
With the X10, the TV only sees the audio files that the X10 accepts to share (DB only, not the whole HDD).
Not sure the limitation comes from the TV...
Of course, I know that the X10 is an audio player, not a video device. But it would be a nice SW improvement to have it UPnP/DLNA compliant, sharing all media files...
Ok, you will say : that can already be done with Samba... ;)