Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:14 pm

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Post subject: Ripping Problems
PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:52 pm 

Just recently I have been experiencing some problems when ripping new CDs.
The first problem has been when inserting a disc the first time in any day, it fails to see the disc until I have carried out a reboot of the X100. After that it reads the disc but takes a long time ripping it, like 20 minutes for a standard length CD. The resulting rip then has noise and breakups, so I delete it and re-rip and this time it will rip in about 10 minutes and will be fine. Any suggestions for what could be wrong?

Post subject: Re: Ripping Problems
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:01 pm 

Could be the CD lens or optical is dirty or too sensitive...
1. wipe the CDs with dry tissue b4 inserting
2. Could be the CD drive/optical could be struggling to read the Cds.
Check for lens dirt or CD drive issues.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:22 pm 

Had some issues with my cd drive so i had it checked, posted at the link below but it is now ok.
Try a quick update & insert the CD properly, your drive could be a bit delicate perhaps due to excessive ripping or other.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1547

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:13 pm 

Although I have had the machine for nearly two years it has probably only been used to rip about 100 CDs, as I previously had a home built vortexbox and transferred the library from it to the X100. So it is unlikely to be a worn cd drive. Mine is the slot loading drive and I think the current model uses a tray loading mechanism, so not sure if maybe they were problematic.
Actually my unit was returned to Cocktail Audio shortly after I bought it because the hard drive was very noisy and was replaced, also it wouldn't play higher resolution material, but did after it was returned. Maybe it is a rogue unit!
Incidentally I always cue up the GUI on my laptop when I do any ripping, and when it gives the problem of not reading a disc it just says no disk inserted, or words to that effect!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:18 pm 

Try updating the unit firmware or you may just have a temperamental drive.
I normally eject & reinsert if i can't feel the CD spinning depends on the CD though, some disc are a bit weird others rip straight away 5 minutes.
Sometimes the disc takes a while to display the info but the service could be running in the background (finger-printing & metadata).
Try & listen to the CD spinning or just leave it inside, if it fails it will eject.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:09 pm 

I would check the network, also sometimes the cd ripping could be based on the cut.
Some cds especially newer could have metadata issues, so the system rips to the "temp" & then finger prints & then tags & moves to the music folder. Sometimes the ripped songs would be in the default folder as soon as the 1st track is copied, other times it will complete the whole process before you see it - based on the metadata & ripping structure used based on the firmware-system.
Not all cds have the same regularity, unless it is an optical drive issue? :?:

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 7:21 pm 

Well it seems to finally have given up the ghost. It's been months since I last ripped a cd and tonight it did the usual thing of doing a very slow rip, which was horribly distorted. I deleted the file, rebooted and tried again, now it flatly refuses to rip the disc, just sits there doing nothing or loads the artwork then does nothing more. In my opinion it is either the drive or a software problem.
I have recently updated the firmware to version 2.6, but the screen still says version 2.5. To be honest I'm getting pissed off. My old homemade vortexbox, using a 15 year old HP machine still works fine, but this 2 year old X100 is poor. As I said in an earlier post it went back after I bought it, for a number of problems, refusing to play higher resolution files, noisy disc drive, both audibly and electrically etc.
I need to get it looked at by CA.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:32 am 

It may just be the optical drive dvd ripper...
The software is smooth & very good.
The support team are good & will assist you.
I even saw a post that you can use an external, which i tried & it worked too :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:18 pm 

I would just like to say a big thankyou to the guys at Cocktail Audio, who comtacted me and suggested I return the unit to them, which I did. I received it back on Wednesday, with a new tray drive instead of the slot drive and all working fine. All for no charge too. Excellent service and I am very grateful.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:21 pm 

Thank you - will inform the support Team.
Cheers :)