Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:54 am

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Forum rules

Please check to ensure your suggestions isn't already mentioned before creating another post.
Perhaps adding a comment might be better than mentioning the same suggestion over & over & over & over (on a new thread).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:11 am 

Just interested to know if anyone has tried, or is using an external amp with the X30 rather than the one fitted. If so what did/are you using and how did the sound benefit.

I am getting the urge to upgrade the sound quality. Even though I am still thoroughly enjoying my X30 I feel that improvements could be made.

At least I would be looking to improve the phono stage that I am using at the moment, but it might also give me the opportunity to buy a high quality Hi Fi amp which should hopefully improve my system overall.

Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:14 am 

Hi,

Yes I use a Marantz Ki Pearl Lite with my X30 (previous was X10). Although I have not used the X30 amp in my home setting, the dealer set up a dem for me using the X30 into some spendor speakers (A6) and I got the impression that the amp was running out of steam at highish sound levels, there was no distortion, just a rather compressed sound. He then tried it on an external amp similar to my set up and there seemed to be a greater dynamic range.

I paid nearly £800 for the marantz, but i see Richer Sounds now have it for about 1/2 price. By using the line out of the X30 you no longer have access to the graphic equiliser settings or the pre-programmed mood settings like Rock/Classical etc, but I dont like them anyway.

What speakers are you using ? At home I use the KEF Q 500 and might have a listen to them driven by the X30, but I do need the Marantz to provide the extra inputs. I would have liked the X40 but at nearly double the price of the X30 it was just too much money at the time.

Alan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:05 am 

Just a heads up courtesy of the Richer Sounds reference...

Cambridge Audio has a brand new range, the CX series, that will be available through Richer Sounds in a matter of days. I'm currently waiting to demo the two new amplifiers (CXA60 & CXA80) with the X10. Both new amps have analogue AND digital inputs which would offer a choice as to how you connect the X30. Neither amp has a phono stage, but there are two standalone options from Cambridge Audio - the Azur 551P (mm only) or the Azur 651P (mm & mc). Another amp, doubling as a stereo receiver, is the Topaz SR20 which DOES have a phono stage.

Link: http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/cx-series

I currently have a Marantz PM6005 amp with my X10 connected digitally (Q Acoustics Concept 20 speakers). However, I find the Marantz has a touch of sibilance and, sometimes, is a bit bright / metallic sounding with upper mids/lower trebs (it's definitely the amp - I've already demoed potential alternatives for comparison). At some point, I will also be changing the X10, but that's another story....

For clarity, I have no connection with either Cambridge Audio or Richer Sounds; it just happens that I'm currently looking and discovered the new product info.

Happy hunting.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:19 am 

Thank you radioham and MusicBod.

It sounds as though there are improvements to be made from adding an external amp (as I expected).

I am looking at going down the Rega route. I had a Brio-R but traded it against the X30. I really liked it but wouldn't have been able to afford the X30 otherwise at the time. I hope to get the Rega Elex-R for its better phono stage and overall sound quality over the Brio-R.

I would also like to hear the X40 but at the price would probably go for a cheaper DAC instead.