Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:00 am

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Forum rules

Please check to ensure your suggestions isn't already mentioned before creating another post.
Perhaps adding a comment might be better than mentioning the same suggestion over & over & over & over (on a new thread).

Post subject: sharing music
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:13 pm 

hi...from reading the forum regularly it occurred to me that each of us must have zillons of albums...i wonder if it would be feasible to set up a sharing group...most of my stuff is Pop...from the 70s to current and i would be happy to swap. I realise its probably illegal...but...

Post subject: Re: sharing music
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:14 pm 

themaninblack wrote:
I realise its probably illegal...but...

Take out the word "probably" and you're there. It will also be one of the quickest ways imaginable to get a UK/USA based web domain shut down and confiscated...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:24 pm 

Musicbod....i knew that but what about this case.....at the moment i buy a CD...then i download it to my X10, and basically im finished with it....surely i should be able to swap a CD?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:29 pm 

Hi TMIB :) .

The following is intended to be for info rather than any finger pointing...

A sensible change to UK law was finally made in 2014 which expressly allowed anyone owning a legit version of their music to lawfully make a copy of that music. However, the law makes it clear that you must own a legit version of the original source and the rip (or format shift) must be for personal use only. That means all the original CDs must be retained, even though you might be "done" with the CDs in the sense of physical usage. If you get rid of a CD, any and all copies you made must be irretrievably erased because you no longer own that CD - this is the case even if you have swapped it for another CD.

If you swapped in the way suggested, two people would have copies from one original source. Effectively, the law says if two people have it, there should have been two payments.

There is no point in starting a debate about the moral rights and wrongs because the thread will descend into a flaming war between those who think it is ok to compile music collections from sharing sites and those who vehemently think those sites are the product of Satan. That said, the following may or may not be of interest.

As someone who owns the rights to some lyrics on an album that is commercially available, it might be surprising to some that I am quite happy for someone to try before they buy, even through illegal sharing sites. Most stores will allow you to try clothes or shoes before purchase, so why not music? I simply don't expect someone to spend money on something they don't like but equally, if they do like it and keep it, I think it's reasonable to expect some return on my investment. The difficulty is, too many people keep what they like from sharing sites without ever paying for an official release and that is why sharing sites are constantly on the radar of the music industry and law enforcement agencies.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:55 pm 

Musicbod....many thanks for your very thorough answer....i agree with your sentiments....i kind of knew that it wasnt possible and your reply confirmed it nicely....thanks again

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:48 pm 

Update as at July 2015...

Unfortunately, the legislation allowing format shifting for personal use has been quashed by the High Court following a challenge from various arms of the music industry. That means, for now at least, it is once again unlawful to rip CDs / audio from DVDs etc even for strictly personal use. So, if you have a CD you want to listen to in your own car but there is only a USB port supporting MP3, the effect of the latest ruling means we're supposed to buy a completely new MP3 version. Obviously, we're all going to do that..... Yep, thought as much.

In my opinion, the music industry has got this horribly wrong and is suffering an acute bout of cerebral circumcision. It may surprise some that I speak as someone who owns commercially released copyrighted material. The music industry most certainly does not speak for me.