Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:24 am

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Forum rules

Please check to ensure your suggestions isn't already mentioned before creating another post.
Perhaps adding a comment might be better than mentioning the same suggestion over & over & over & over (on a new thread).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:40 pm 

My previous music server was a Hifidelio (Olive in the US) which also recorded analogue to WAV files. However it had really useful editing tools to work with the file before importing to the music db:
Auto cut into individual tracks - based on a (selected) preset 4 seconds of 'silence'
Manually cut into tracks
Join / merge tracks
Delete selected sections of files (handy at the end if an LP!)

All these could be driven either from the unit, the remote, or best from a PC via a VNC client ( basically an App)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:08 am 

Hi Pthommo.

I'm not sure this is quite what you are looking for but maybe it will do for now.

The obvious editor is "Audacity" - it's completely free with no malware / adware etc. However, I can't vouch for how easy or otherwise it is to use because I stumbled across another piece of software which does what I need.

I currently use a restricted version of "WavePad" by NCH software. Now, there is a perfectly legitimate FREE version available of this BUT the website makes it tricky to locate and you have to be careful not to inadvertently download the one that ends up being chargeable. In my experience, the best way to locate the free version is to google search for "Wavepad free" and this USUALLY gives up a link to the free version from NCH's website - Wavepad page.

On SOME versions of that page, there is a paragraph headed "Get it free". Sometimes, that para is mysteriously missing. If it's there, go ahead and download - it will be fine. For a few days, you get the all singing all dancing "Masters" version and then some of the features are withdrawn. You can still split WAV files, you can still fade in / out and save to MP3 as well as other file types. The basic restricted version won't allow you to save to FLAC but there are plenty of other (free) software options that will compress WAV to FLAC files so, for me at least, this isn't a problem (I use "FREAC"). Once Wavepad has defaulted to the restricted version, you will be asked to confirm it's for non-commercial use every time you open it.

Don't know if this is of interest but I also use a couple of pieces of software that can extract audio from video files - "VLC Media Player" and "Pazera". Both are freeware and seem to work well. [Added] Actually, you can drag and drop most video files into Wavepad and it will pull out the audio track BUT it won't always be clear what standard of audio it is. Pazera is better at that. A spectrogram (audio analyser) can help to determine the quality of the audio, although it's not a foolproof method - I use "Spek".

Links:

Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
Wavepad: http://www.nch.com.au/wavepad/ [check for "free" version para! Do google search]
VLC: https://www.videolan.org/
Pazera: http://www.pazera-software.com/
FREAC: http://www.freac.org/
SPEK: http://spek.cc/

Happy editing...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:29 am 

Do you know the X30 does all this:
-Records the audio (eg LP) & cuts & edits on the device or via the web-interface.
The X10 does the same too (record to Wav, cut, convert & tag with art etc)
I do not know what "Pthommo" is on about.
I use the X30 & already had the X10 for a while too, purchased from AV10/cocktail audio uk ages ago.
Wanted to try the cocktail audio X12 (or another brand) but i know it is not stable & totally rubbish!
Plus you can access the HDD from a pc & edit with mp3 tag & them import to the database (MusicDB).
[/size]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:57 am 

AudioAndrex wrote:
I do not know what "Pthommo" is on about.

I DO get what he is on about. Pthommo expressly stated he wanted tools for specific purposes (not all of which can be done by the X10 & X30) and that he wanted them for use BEFORE importing. As I understand it, the tools on the X10 and X30 don't offer the same degree of control that manual editing does. It's simply personal preference - some will be more than happy with the on-board tools and others want more. I don't see either view as being "wrong".

It's a similar situation with artwork. I am well aware it's possible to search for artwork via the X10 / X30. But, for specific artwork for different release versions of the same album, that won't always work. So, I prefer to manually search online for the correct artwork and then import via USB (after editing in some cases). Some will think that is a waste of time. Fair enough - for them. But, for me, it's part of the fun and isn't a waste of time.

However we get there, happy listening....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:36 pm 

I can also thoroughly recommend Audacity, but be careful on the install. I downloaded the Audacity loader from what I thought would be a reasonable site, but they'd put an install-wrapper program around the legitimate package and it tried to install some less-desirable stuff too.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:33 pm 

Quote:
AudioAndrex wrote:
Do you know the X30 does all this:
-Records the audio (eg LP) & cuts & edits on the device or via the web-interface.
The X10 does the same too (record to Wav, cut, convert & tag with art etc).....Plus you can access the HDD from a pc & edit with mp3 tag & them import to the database (MusicDB).
[/size]

Thanks for the reply, but no, I cant find any way to chop a WAV file into tracks using the X30 menus or web interface alone. How do you do that?
I know about Audacity etc using a PC - My preference & suggestion is to keep it all on one device if I can.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:46 pm 

Have you checked here:
"5.The function to cut the file ( to cut 'playing section')
< NOTE > This cutting function works on Browser only:"

http://cocktailaudio.co.uk/firmware/X30 ... _R0069.pdf

It is the feature that can also be used as the repeat function from the playing screen.
You can chop off certain sections off a track.