Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:16 pm

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Post subject: Convert ?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:26 pm 

I have ripped over 150 cd's to WAV format I also loaded the contents of my Creative zen player all MP3 therefor I have an lot of track duplication. The contents of the Zen was shown in my DB as a folder as MP3, I deleted it thus leaving me all Wav tracks I have noticed whilst indexing the DB library that there is still a lot of duplicate tracks still in MP3, I have also Noticed that on the track info panel at the bottom the word "Convert and yes" what does this mean as there is no way that I can find to action this.
Many thanks

Post subject: Re: Convert ?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:30 pm 

I think the message you are referring to relates to whether or not the X10 regards the file as having been "converted" (encoded).

So, for example, if you rip a CD, asking for MP3 output, then at first the files are WAV files. The X10 then does the encoding to MP3 over time, and this message tells you whether or not the particular track has been encoded yet or not.

If you import something that was an MP3 already, then you get the message that it is converted straight away.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:47 pm 

THIS is quite strange, if you have imported mp3 & deleted them, why do you think its still there.....?
Perhaps the tags were unstructured & might have moved to different sections relating to the related ID3.
For example.
Album 1
Album 2
Album 3.....

I then "copy to db" a new album 9, but tags are related to different albums from the MP3.
In this case the album 9, could generate other new albums, if one isn't aware of the tag structure.
I do not see how you deleted an album(s) & still have it on the X10.
If you connect the X10 to your computer, you can just delete those albums you do not like Mp3.
Or connect via SAMBA & just delete them.

Some notes on conversion if it's any use (Admin stuff):
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=98

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:55 am 

Thanks freemartial. A further Q, I have approx 157 gig of music on my DB most of which are In WAV format what would be the best way to convert all to .Flac files ? The reason I ask is that I have read on the forum that Flac files handle Taging better than Wav and Would therefor be more manageable.
Regards

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:09 am 
Site Admin

longshanks wrote:
Thanks freemartial. A further Q, I have approx 157 gig of music on my DB most of which are In WAV format what would be the best way to convert all to .Flac files ? The reason I ask is that I have read on the forum that Flac files handle Taging better than Wav and Would therefore be more manageable.
Regards

Good Q, but if you have already ripped them via X10 & the tags are OK, why convert?
Flac tags are well dealt with on FW 1644, but it you are not importing any music from your NAS/PC/tablet or other then i wouldn't bother about it.
If you had about 10 tracks, then i could show you, but it’s a lot of albums then it’s not worth the time, you are better off re-ripping.
This is not really conventional, once the encoding is chosen you cannot revert - remember processing power is not like a computer & it’s not appropriate to revert from say a lossy to lossless - hence the re-encoding.
The re-encoding mechanism was really meant for AUXILRY.
This was covered in release notes "release notes R1554" in relation to MUSIC DB, you might need to fake an auxiliary folder :)
LINK: http://www.cocktailaudio.co.uk/firmware.shtml

I remember a user left a remark about this.....(how it was done).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:36 am 

Thank you .very much

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:33 pm 

I'm a newbie and still learning how to use the cocktail. This seems as good a place as any to ask what may be a dumb question. I have now ripped quite a few CDs. I opted to rip them as mp3 files but I note they play as WAVs. Is this the norm and do I have to now convert them to mp3 one by one?
I apologise if this is covered elsewhere but any guidance is much appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:59 pm 

They should get converted for you. Just wait a little while, then check again.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:37 am 
Site Admin

Tintin wrote:
I'm a newbie and still learning how to use the cocktail. This seems as good a place as any to ask what may be a dumb question. I have now ripped quite a few CDs. I opted to rip them as mp3 files but I note they play as WAVs. Is this the norm and do I have to now convert them to mp3 one by one?
I apologise if this is covered elsewhere but any guidance is much appreciated!

You can also check the progress of the conversion by pressing the "i" info key (remote control) at the main screen.

There are many useful info at this section: http://www.cocktailaudio.co.uk/firmware.shtml
Or check out the online guide: http://www.cocktailaudio.co.uk/manual.shtml

Attachments:
convert.jpg
convert.jpg [ 14.14 KiB | Viewed 19224 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:10 am 

Ahh, thank you. How clever, loving this little box of tricks!!