Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:57 pm

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:24 am 

I have a large number of music files created from recording my vinyl LPs, the files are both in .wav and .mp3 format.
I have been trying to load these files onto my X10 from an external hard drive, but it has become a very frustrating process. When I load an album trough the browser using the copy to DB function I appear to complete the action successfully. However when I try to play the album at least one track will result in a white screen. The X10 must then be powered down and restarted before any further action can be taken. I have found that if I then edit the problem track in Nero Wave Editor, delete the album from the X10 and then reload the album, the offending track will then play. Unfortunately, for some albums, more than one track requires this sequence of actions.
I have a large collection of digitised LPs that I wish to load and currently it is taking approximately 15 minutes an album to successfully load due to this white screen problem.
I have tried loading the files onto the X10 hard disk using the USB function, with the same result when loading to the DB. I have reformatted the hard disk and loaded the latest firmware, but the problem still persists.
What is causing the white screen? Why does editing the track cure the problem? How can I predict which track will cause a problem? Is there any other way I can load the files and avoid the white screen? Is my X10 faulty?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:48 am 
Site Admin

However when I try to play the album at least one track will result in a white screen.
>> please check if the file was copied over properly.
(could be an error packet during transfering)

I have found that if I then edit the problem track in Nero Wave Editor, delete the album from the X10 and then reload the album, the offending track will then play. Unfortunately, for some albums, more than one track requires this sequence of actions.
I have a large collection of digitised LPs that I wish to load and currently it is taking approximately 15 minutes an album to successfully load due to this white screen problem.
>>This shouldn't be an issue, there is a bad file or text character that the database isn't able to accept.
(boot the X10 & play the files again, perhaps the computer is playing the file whilst it was being copied across (if via PC ) ???)

I have tried loading the files onto the X10 hard disk using the USB function, with the same result when loading to the DB.
>>Is there any music files dumpped into the ".db folder" via PC connection?
The system uses this to load the X10 & it could cause the X10 to crush.

I have reformatted the hard disk and loaded the latest firmware, but the problem still persists.
What is causing the white screen?
Why does editing the track cure the problem?
>> See link:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=25

Also the X10 crushes when it has problems accessing the file or finding the source of the file within the packet or location.

How can I predict which track will cause a problem?
>> Check the file b4 copying.
>> Check the X10 internal HDD connectors.

Is there any other way I can load the files and avoid the white screen? Is my X10 faulty?
>> Not faulty.
>>Try a few files at a time.
>> Also try via network, its faster & same with backup too (which can be done on a network location)
>> if you do a recovery, the X10 will find possible erroneous files/data

If you format the HDD again, try to import an album (1) & check via playing.
If you are sure the files have all been completely copied, reboot & play them again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:53 pm 

Unfortunately this does not explain why I have a problem, nor how I can avoid it.

The files play on the computer, but even if I just try to play them on the X10 from the hard drive, not copy to the DB, certain tracks (files) result in the white screen and a consequential hard reboot of the X10. What are these bad file or text characters that the DB will not accept? How can I avoid them?

The X10 is not connected to a computer, just a hard drive. I have not loaded freeDB from the disk supplied nor is the X10 connected to the internet, so there can be no issues with freeDB.

I have not touched the .DB folder at all, certainly I have not tried to copy any files directly to it.

I have checked the hard drive connections and everything is in order.

I am only loading 1 album at a time, typically 10 – 14 tracks. Indeed if a track causes a white screen when being played, then, after rebooting, just trying to copy that single track (file) to the DB will result in a white screen when it is played from the DB.

The fact remains that the X10 displays a white screen and locks up when playing certain files and I do not know how to avoid the problem. When a file fails, I use Nero Wave Editor to remove a few milliseconds from the start and end of the file, and this allows the X10 to play and copy the file to the DB. It works, but is very time consuming and frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:29 pm 
Site Admin

The crushing is the outcome not the device.
The reason i responded to your post was to explain why your X10 is crushing thus the recommended a soln & the link.
If you follow those the x10 will not crush.
I do not have your files & cannot tell, hence you have to check the files & the HDD.
Editing the tags is not the soln.
The conflict is with the X10 & the HDD (imported files & tagged database).
Do a recovery after importing.
(X10 is very sensitive to erroneous data, the issue is with the HDD that is used on the device - if the error is cleared the crushing will not emerge)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:49 pm 

sheldonc wrote:
Unfortunately this does not explain why I have a problem, nor how I can avoid it.
The files play on the computer, but even if I just try to play them on the X10 from the hard drive, not copy to the DB, certain tracks (files) result in the white screen and a consequential hard reboot of the X10. What are these bad file or text characters that the DB will not accept? How can I avoid them?
The X10 is not connected to a computer, just a hard drive. I have not loaded freeDB from the disk supplied nor is the X10 connected to the internet, so there can be no issues with freeDB.
I have not touched the .DB folder at all, certainly I have not tried to copy any files directly to it.
I have checked the hard drive connections and everything is in order.
I am only loading 1 album at a time, typically 10 – 14 tracks. Indeed if a track causes a white screen when being played, then, after rebooting, just trying to copy that single track (file) to the DB will result in a white screen when it is played from the DB.
The fact remains that the X10 displays a white screen and locks up when playing certain files and I do not know how to avoid the problem. When a file fails, I use Nero Wave Editor to remove a few milliseconds from the start and end of the file, and this allows the X10 to play and copy the file to the DB. It works, but is very time consuming and frustrating.

How exactly did you format the hard drive?
I think you have a corrupted file (if it is just one file).
Have done many importing via SAMBA/SHARED dir & USB too have never experienced any problems.
Do you copy all the songs to the MUSIC DB or some to the HDD1 too (it should not affect the X10 but just wondered).
Why not try a different method of importing.
You might try copying to the HDD1 & then to MUSIC DB to see what happens.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:26 pm 

Hi tech1a

I used the X10 hard disk format function. I have tried all your suggestions with no greater success.

Hi Admin

I have tried everything you suggested in your first posting, however I still get a white screen when playing approx. 1 in 20 .wav or .mp3 files on the X10 from the external hard disk before attempting to copy them to the DB. Copying them to the DB results in a white screen when trying to play the same files that failed when playing. Clearly the X10 does not like certain files but I can only find out which by playing all the tracks until one results in a white screen. I have also found that, so far, I have had no problem with iTunes generated files.

Despite what you said in your second response, editing the files in Nero Wave Editor remains the only way I have found of enabling all the files to be loaded onto the DB.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:52 pm 

sheldonc wrote:
Hi tech1a
I used the X10 hard disk format function. I have tried all your suggestions with no greater success.
Hi Admin
I have tried everything you suggested in your first posting, however I still get a white screen when playing approx. 1 in 20 .wav or .mp3 files on the X10 from the external hard disk before attempting to copy them to the DB. Copying them to the DB results in a white screen when trying to play the same files that failed when playing. Clearly the X10 does not like certain files but I can only find out which by playing all the tracks until one results in a white screen. I have also found that, so far, I have had no problem with iTunes generated files.
Despite what you said in your second response, editing the files in Nero Wave Editor remains the only way I have found of enabling all the files to be loaded onto the DB.

V strange, I have imported so many songs from itunes(Wav & Mp3) & other programs in FLAC, have never had any problems.
The X10 is very sensitive but from firmware 1592 upwards the white screen was fixed (to enable the X10 to withstand many special characters, even the Germany forum confirmed that too).
Was your Hard drive installed with the unit or did you purchase that from elsewhere?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:34 pm 
Site Admin

sheldonc wrote:
Hi tech1a
Hi Admin

Are the files that do not play well (the same files)??
Could you post a problem 1 file(track) for me to check?
How about importing to the HDD1 & then play it..........then import to "music db".
You could also change the storage to USB & then test one album to see (this will isolate the problem)?
Setup->Music db->Stoarge->"USB".
(Just test it with one album)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:03 pm 

Hi Admin

Happy to send a file, where do I send it?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:18 pm 
Site Admin

sheldonc wrote:
Hi Admin

Happy to send a file, where do I send it?

Just upload it:
http://www.sendspace.com/
(just go on the site upload your file & post the link, that it)
Thanks for the msg.
A sample file(song) or just upload a whole album, but zip it & upload it - its free no registration required.