Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:00 am

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:23 am 

Can anyone help please? How can I improve browsing and searching through the Database using my PC? At present, I open the DB on my PC and it always starts at 'A'. In order to look at artist/albums beginning with say 'M" I have to scroll down and down & down to get there, very slow and time consuming. If I type 'M' into the top blank box 'Artist', instead of showing me all the Artists beginning with 'M' it shows every Artist with an 'M' in their name.

Hopefully there is a quicker way to browse the DB because it is very time consuming having to start at 'A' every time.

Any help will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:20 pm 

Instead of typing the first letter of the artist name, just type in a string of letters that has the best chance of matching any part of the artist name (i.e Don't type THE). Only those artists which contain the string you have entered (the search is even case-insensitive so you don't have to worry about capitalisation) will be listed, so you will probably only need to type 4 or 5 characters if you choose the right ones.

This approach can also be used for any of the text fields (album, artist or genre)

Alternatively, the whole list can be shown "newest first" instead of alphabetically (option via the cog symbol at top right of screen), but this is less likely to be as helpful as the first approach.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:46 pm 

Thank you, that's helpful but not really the answer I was hoping for. I can't remember every album I've got and therefore I like to be able to browse through the database list on the PC screen, similar to browsing through the CD spines on a shelf. But with CDs on shelves you can start browsing at any point, not necessarily at the beginning of the collection. It seems that using the X10 Database on a PC you have to start at the beginning 'A' every time - you can't simply jump to artists starting with 'L' or 'M' or whatever. (Unlike on the X10 itself, where you can just type the letter 'M' and the X10 screen shows artists starting with that letter). Strange.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:51 am 

I understand what you are saying. I know of no way to emulate the functionality that the remote control offers of going to artists/albums starting with a particular letter.

However, if you are truly interested in browsing your collection, why do you want to find something beginning with "M". That implies to me that there is something specific you are looking for. Getting a list of all artists that contain the letter "m" will open you up to a more wide-spread browsing experience. It's only we humans who are attributing something special to the first letter of a name, as opposed to anywhere else in the name.

I realise this isn't what you asked for and I can see that it would be a nice function to have, but if you free your mind from the artificial constraint of searching by "first letter", you may find yourself enjoying a wider listening experience. For me, having a Cocktail Audio has really reconnected me with loads of long-forgotten albums and artists merely by using random play within a genre and by entering letters randomly in search boxes, as previously described.

Go on - try it! You may be surpised. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:37 pm 

Oh believe me I am indeed refinding lots of amazing music that I had long forgotten about while CDs were stored in boxes and inaccessible shelves! Now that I have the DB open on my PC all the time it is quick & easy to dip in and choose. But it would be nice occasionally to be able to browse through names alphabetically without ALWAYS having to start at A or Z. Hence my desire to jump a little way into the alphabet. I'm surprised no-one has come up with a simple technique to do this, it always seems from reading this forum that people find ways of doing things which don't appear in any Manuals. I live in hope - and in the meantime just have to continue scrolling and scrolling and scrolling!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:29 am 

The latest firmware version does include this functionality.

Type in a letter in either the artist or album field and one of the dropdown options is "Beginnt mit" (Begins with)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:27 pm 

Thank you, that's great news! Now I just have to work out how to do the firmware update! Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:04 am 

The search is now BRILLIANT !! Well done the Cocktail Audio X10 tekkies! Thank you.