Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:37 pm

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:36 pm 

I'm struggling with a strange issue with streaming and the Cocktail Audio x10. Using it to rip disks works fine if I use the remote, but using another media player (a Yamaha R-N500), and I browse the albums using the Yamaha App (NP Controller), when I select one, another album will play, or it won't play at all.

This does not appear to happen with any other media server.

I have done some troubleshooting and thought that I had tracked it down to a '/' in a song title on the Cocktail audio. The song was 'First in/First out' by Front 242. All of the other songs showed up with the correct album "Front by Front", but this song showed up as 'First in', and the album 'First out'. This threw out the number of albums appearing by one, which made sense; when I selected any album that appeared after that in the album list, it would play the album *after* that one.

This implied that it was using an index number to play the album instead of the album name. When I corrected the album and track name, everything came right.

Now I'm struggling with a similar issue, but it's when you browse by Artist. I have Coldplay's "A Rush of Blood to the Head" and "X&Y". The first one plays, the second one will not. The app hangs. If I rename the second album to "X and Y", it plays, but now "A Rush of Blood to the Head" won't.

Again, if I am browsing on the front of the x10 using the remote and playing on the unit itself, everything is fine. But not when streaming. I've identified the behavior with the x30 as well.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this could be happening / what to do about it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:25 pm 

Im guessing u r using the upnp protocol via the app.
Shouldn't the app be responsible for controlling the loop?
Why not try another free app & see if it plays all the tracks?
The cocktail audio devices are simple when it comes to using them as network devices - so i can't personally find any hitch with their server side.
I can access the device via any kit from mobile to pc - even ftp works smoothly.
When you play on the x10/x30 (without the app)can you play the correct mode? (press menu during playback to select).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:56 pm 

The app is actually looking for music servers, though yes, when I play using the unit itself and the remote it plays fine.

I'm curious as to weather the cause is the way the x10 is serving, as evidenced by the first issue (stumbling over a character and throwing the album count out) or the receiver or the app. I would also think that the Media Server in this instance is the one broadcasting the info and reporting / retrieving the files.

Since I have never seen the issue before (we have a couple of different media servers) with this app, and I have observed other 'quirks' with the x10, I thought I would explore it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:48 am 

Quite interesting, it might be exploring the directory along with any system files generated by the x10.
You could delete the files (perhaps one album folder), as long as the songs are not in wav or other pcm type like aiff - that requires a way to store the metadata. It doesn't seem to use the dlna or upnp streaming, but rather accesses directly for the control of AV receivers...therefore it could be accessing the actual files when it is configured - quite an an AV controller APP.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:15 am 

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. The Yamaha app is only browsing the files being shared through the upnp server, so it's unlikely that it would be inadvertently browsing system files.
It is only attempting to browse files ripped from a cd into FLAC, so there shouldn't be any file type issues (although one theory was that the x10 somehow got confused during the transcoding and mangled the file then).
I've also tried this on more than one unit; two x10's and an x30, with similar results.
I don't think FLAC stores it's own metadata, so an index would be needed for that; the funny part is that when I used the web interface to rename the album 'X&Y' the effect was immediate; there didn't seem to be a need to rebuild any index. (though the effect was that 'X and Y' would play, the other Coldplay album wouldn't). Is there a way to get a debug log from the unit? I'd like to see what error the server software is throwing; is it referencing the wrong track, or is it being asked for the wrong track, or is it offering the wrong track?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:15 pm 

Oh apologies I think i misread the post.
I thought it was every album, hence the wrong protocol comments.
Not sure there is a server log file but if you can set one up on another end, perhaps you could view the log on that one.
For example bubble (server), X10 (client) & use the same file.
Having said that many programs are object oriented, hence I won't be surprise if a hitch pops up now & then...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:23 am 

I used the webserver to rename a track title adding a / (forward slash). The X10 replaced this with a / (division slash) in both the track title and the filename.
You can't use a "/" in a file or foldername in windows etc, as it is a prohibited character. This is probably why it was replaced, and could be what the NP Controller app does not like.

I'm not sure what the issue is with the Coldplay albums though, but I would copy both of them to the PC and use a tag editing programme like Mp3tag to look for anything odd in the tags and filenames. Check all of the tracks are correct too, as X&Y has a hidden last track #13.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:59 pm 

Hi Bertie,
The NP Controller app never saw the slash; the Cocktail Audio interpereted that as the delinator between track and album name. My theory was that because you now had an an extra 'album' (one track with the wrong album) it threw out the numeric index of albums. Renaming the album sorted the issue.

However, I'm still struggling with the Coldplay albums. I've used the web interface to check all of the album names and artist names, and they *appear* fine, but without logging I won't know. I'm not sure the Yamaha App supports logging, but I can have a play.