Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Sun Feb 23, 2020 4:15 pm

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:17 am 

Well it looks to me as if nothing has been done in the transition r0049 to r0069 to improve the speed of backups. You can however see it backing up the playlists and the iRadio stations. Note that the release notes make no mention of any improvement to backup speed.

Testing earlier on r0049 with my previous backup set I did one clean backup to a re-formatted empty disk and one incremental backup to a previously backed up disk. The clean backup took 50 hours the incremental backup took just over 11 hours which does indicate to me that the backup is incremental - but very slow.

Having installed r0069 I then did an incremental backup which once again took just over 11 hours. The only changes I made to the Music DB since the last backup were:
1) added 4 CDs
2) added 18 individual songs to existing pseudo-albums
3) edited the metadata for my classical CDs c. 800 by adding the composer using the new version WebGUI
The Music DB occupies 624.4 GB.

====================================

Contrast this with backing up my iTunes library which is done by means of a manual copy using Windows Explorer - Apple provide no real tools for this.

I made two backup copies to the same USB disks that I use for the X30 to enable a more direct comparison, one was connected via USB 2 and the other via the faster USB 3 port. The size of my iTunes database as about 1/7 the size of the X30 MusicDB.

The USB 2 backup completed in 1h 30 minutes, the USB 3 backup completed in 40 minutes. So if we scale up the USB 2 by 7 to compare with the X30 clean backup we get 10h 30m - compared to the 50 hours that the X30 clean backup took.

Peter.

P.S. I don't have time right now but next week I plan to add just one additional song and then do a timed backup and then will report back on this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:19 pm 

I added 3 songs to my MusicDB to an existing pseudo-album, total of 110MB. Database now occupies 624.6 GB.

Ran Recovery - took 31 minutes

Backup than ran in 4 hours 40 mins - which indicates to me that the backup is indeed incremental - just very, painfully, slow.

Most of this 4.6 hours must just be taken up with checking the X30 versus the existing backup as there is very little new material to copy over.

Bear in mind that copying the 110MB three songs to my USB stick takes just a very few minutes - and similar to import from the USB stick to the X30.

Peter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:53 pm 
Site Admin

The method should wk but it's not effective with other hw...same with x10.
Hopefully other something would be figured-out :roll:
Also its not a PC thus the slowness.
Best to have an alternative method like docking increments or clone with a docking station.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:47 am 

Admin wrote:
The method should wk but it's not effective with other hw...same with x10.

I should jolly well hope that this method would work - it's the method described by the Manual and the method provided as part of the X30 firmware: connect big external USB disk to X30 than use Setup>MusicDB>Backup :geek:

Admin wrote:
Also its not a PC thus the slowness.

And yes I do realize that as I have my external USB backup disks formatted as NTFS then the backup will be slower than if I had those disks Linux formatted (via the X30) - but I need and want those disks NTFS so they can be read simply and natively on my PCs without the need for additional third-party software. :ugeek:

Admin wrote:
Best to have an alternative method like docking increments or clone with a docking station.

I assume that to follow such a method would require undocking the hard-drive from the X30 and mounting in the cloning device? That is something I do not intend to do on any regular basis, if ever! :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:52 am 
Site Admin

@ no you didn't understand my point, i meant the processing speed.
The algorithm for backing up archive, rsync & others implemented into differential or incremental bk.
Plugging the stuff into the back is just procedural :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:48 pm 

Further testing - decided I needed a fresh pair of backups after a couple of months.

In that time I have added to the X3035 individual songs and four CDs - a total of 103 songs, 6 hour 15 mins playtime, 770.6MB.

This backup took a tad under six hours - still much shorter than the 50 hours of my last full backup on a clean disk - clearly still doing an incremental backup - but still awfully slow.

I can actually live with this now that I have done my major ripping/loading - this last couple of months is fairly typical of my add-rate - so 12 hours of backups every 2-3 months ain't too bad ...

Peter.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:12 pm 

The problem is the db structure isn't well designed and the processor is slow (logically).
Also the backup method needs to be checked - product isn't bad but the company needs more technical support than the same many models.
Heard of an Cocktail Audio X12 but not released in the UK yet only in EU

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:55 am 

<deleted> moderator no personal promos please - John

And yes the backup speed is down to the d/b structure - and down to the low-powered processor - you don't need a high-speed processor for the X30's main job which is playing music and ripping CDs 8-)

It is quicker apparently if your backup disk is Linux formatted - not really an option for me as I operate in a Windows environment and thus want my backup disks reading natively on Windows.

If you want speed there are disk duplicators out there - but that means dismounting and remounting your on-board disk all the time - which is something I don't really want to be doing.

I can't help thinking that in spite of the low-speed processor and the d/b structure maybe, just maybe, the programmers are being a little lazy in this respect and opting for the easy way rather than the quick way (and I speak from some experience, I used to be a developer and a manager of developers at times in my career)

Peter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 1:40 pm 

Yes it is this one...coming to uk soon i think - cocktail audio X12

Attachments:
Cocktail Audio X12.png
Cocktail Audio X12.png [ 399.83 KiB | Viewed 14629 times ]