Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:21 am

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Forum rules

Please don't create a topic for JUST any question, look for an akin post/forum.
For example 'PHP scripts' or webinterface issues will be best posted under 'Web-Interface related Forum'.
Any duplicate posts will be deleted without a reply.
This will make it easier for other users to find the solutions to their queries.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:01 pm 

I noticed that for every few CDs ripped, one would fail with an error message right at the end of the ripping process. I've only seen one other mention of this here so either no-one else has the problem or there aren't enough X30 users yet.

After several wasted hours I discovered the reason (a bug). If the album name, as retrieved from the free database, contains an apostrophy, the rip will fail right at the end (presumably when it tries to tag the files). If you remove any apostrophy in advance, the CD will rip perfectly.

You can't even add the apostrophy back afterwards using the web interface, it just won't let you save it. I found that using the acute accent (ASCII decimal code 180) works as a substitute apostrophy. Windows users can enter the character by holding down the Alt key whilst entering 0180.

Hope this has helped someone who's been tearing their hair out trying to find out why some CDs won't rip Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:18 pm 

gadgetman wrote:
I noticed that for every few CDs ripped, one would fail with an error message right at the end of the ripping process. I've only seen one other mention of this here so either no-one else has the problem or there aren't enough X30 users yet.

After several wasted hours I discovered the reason (a bug). If the album name, as retrieved from the free database, contains an apostrophy, the rip will fail right at the end (presumably when it tries to tag the files). If you remove any apostrophy in advance, the CD will rip perfectly.

You can't even add the apostrophy back afterwards using the web interface, it just won't let you save it. I found that using the acute accent (ASCII decimal code 180) works as a substitute apostrophy. Windows users can enter the character by holding down the Alt key whilst entering 0180.

Hope this has helped someone who's been tearing their hair out trying to find out why some CDs won't rip Image

I have seen this with the X10 with other problem characters, $ and :
(There are other forum posts on this subject)

Some time back I experimented with a problem CD and I think what is happening is :-
Assume the CD title is (this is a made up title) Classical : Bach

During ripping this Album title is added to the database
But all of the tracks are stored with the Album title Classical ? Bach
i.e the problem character gets changed to a question mark with the stored files, hence the database cannot find the files and generates a rip error.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:55 pm 

There was also a problem with the ampersand & character until this was fixed for the X30 in r0042

And yes, I too have fallen foul of the apostrophes :roll: :x :evil:

And yes, a helpful post gadgetman :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:13 pm 

Glad I'm not alone...

The problem is the apostrophy is a very common character in album titles and causes ripping failure every few albums. Most end users will naturally assume there's something wrong with the CD, like it's unreadable or copy protected. They wouldn't guess in a million years it's because there's a ' in the title Image

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:32 pm 

The real problem, gadgetman, is that the GUI has been designed by programmers rather than by music consumers or taxonmists - it's particularly poor for classical music taxonomy (but then so is dear old iTunes/iPod too) ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:45 pm 

Actually I've just noticed that I do have apostrophes in my song titles - and in my Album titles and Artist fields - so maybe it got fixed in r0042 ??

I seem to recall having problems with the quotes character " - so I've been avoiding that.

:? :? :?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:41 pm 

Peter Sampson wrote:
Actually I've just noticed that I do have apostrophes in my song titles - and in my Album titles and Artist fields - so maybe it got fixed in r0042 ??

I seem to recall having problems with the quotes character " - so I've been avoiding that.

:? :? :?

My experience is that the character problem is only with the Album Title.

In the database, I am reasonably sure you can use any character in any of the fields.

My hypothesis is that :-

The problem is that the 'album title' is used to create a directory fold name on the hard disk and some characters are not allowed in directory folder names either because they cause problems with the scripting language used or are just not allowed with NTFS directory names.
Hence :-
1. When ripping with a problem Album Title, the album title gets stored correctly in the database but the hard disk directory folder name is incorrectly created.
2. If modifying the Album Title by adding a problem character, the new title gets stored in the database correctly but change to the directory folder name fails.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:15 pm 

Totally inaccurate!
I have both X10 & X30, songs with "&" don't cause ""failed rip tracks", it must be a coincidence.
The "&" problem was with the web-interface, that Admin mentioned on the forum but that has nothing to do with the ripping (optical issue or CD).
You could just re-rip the individual track & blend it into the already ripped album (tracks) using the "help feature".
Have many albums with "&" and all ripped fine.
Only the X10 (web-interface FW 1692), has that problem not the FW0042 & i think cocktail audio UK, said there is a looming update.
Also the problem with the "&", is not even a ripping issue it related to the ART search, ....all text after "&" is cut off.
I have since rather copied the manual art to a USB or HDD via network & embedded them via the X10 menu (X30 is ok). :idea:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:23 pm 

I spoke too soon yesterday, today I am having problems with apostrophes.

My wife tried to rip three CDs yesterday each with an apostrophe in the title or artist - all failed on ripping.

1) Today I ripped all three with CDex then tried to add to the DB with Browser>Import - with the apostrophe in the title, all were rejected by the X30 as already being in the database (which on careful examination they were clearly not).

2) I then modified the album/artist to remove the apostrophes. The X30 then happily accepted all three via Browser>Import.

3) Subsequently I tried correcting the album/artist with adding the apostrophes - but the X30 would not accept that either.

4) workaround: use the double quote " character, not pretty, not right - but better than no punctuation there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:27 pm 

Guys really there is nothing wrong i have many albums with "-,&,*;' etc.." on both my X10 & X30...
See my X30 ..Album ripped fine without any problem.
Nothing is wrong... :idea:

Attachments:
No_problem.jpg
No_problem.jpg [ 59.6 KiB | Viewed 15207 times ]