Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:23 am

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Forum rules

Please don't create a topic for JUST any question, look for an akin post/forum.
For example 'PHP scripts' or webinterface issues will be best posted under 'Web-Interface related Forum'.
Any duplicate posts will be deleted without a reply.
This will make it easier for other users to find the solutions to their queries.

Post subject: Reformatting the HDD
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:57 am 

Browsing through the Forum I thought I saw a post where someone backed up their database and then formatted the HDD and then restored the database. Is this correct? Does formatting the HDD not touch the operating system? Would all the settings have to be checked and reset again? Also, if one has loaded the FreeDB does this have to be installed again?

I'm sorry if this is obvious but the Manual only discusses formatting for a new drive and not re-formatting later.

Post subject: Re: Refornatting the HDD
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:14 pm 

The operating system is stored in firmware, not on the hard disk, so you won't do any damage to that by formatting the hard disk. (The X10 can quite happily run without any installed hard disk.)

You will, of course, lose all the Music DB (both the information in the database and all the music files themselves). You will also lose any other information you have stored on the hard disk (that might be accessible through the X10's browser).

I am not sure where options are stored -- you may need to check those, especially things like network setup.

I also think that the web server scripts are stored on the hard disk, so you might need to use the procedure from the release notes to re-install the web server.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:37 pm 

Thank you. I thought as much but thought I should get confirmation before taking such a drastic step. I have no need to reformat at present but as things are going in my experience with the X10 anything is possible. I have spent some time perusing the forum and have found several of your posts - which are always clear and to the point. Have you considered rewriting the Manual?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:11 pm 

KenWA wrote:
I have spent some time perusing the forum and have found several of your posts - which are always clear and to the point. Have you considered rewriting the Manual?

Kind of you to say. And I suppose I might be open to (re)writing some documentation given the right financial incentive from the manufacturers... ;)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:42 am 

A word of warning.

Since several of the posts in reply to my problems with losing the database during recovery suggested that the problem might be in my HD and it should be re-formatted I decided it was worth a try. So after ripping 526 albums (5,000 odd tracks) , running a successful Recovery and a successful Backup on to an external HD I ran the Format. The X10 did something and then rebooted. I checked the MusicDB and received the expected message of “Not found” and the cheerfully ran Restore only to receive the same message! X10 had formatted both the built-in HD and the External HD.

I ran a free Data Recovery program which found 100GB of data but I had to repeat the operation after buying the Pro version because of the size of the data. It took 4 hours to find 6838 files and 526 folders. It took another hour to Restore these files on my PC HD but there were now only 4516 files in 215 folders. Further examination revealed that the actual MuscDB Backup file contained only 194 files and these appeared to be intact and so I copied them over to the external HD , returned it to the X10 and ran a Restore operation – successfully. For some reason, the majority of the albums recovered were the latest ones I had ripped but there was also a selection of earlier ones.

Two questions remain. First, how does a purpose built utility in the OS manage to format the attached HD when it should have formatted only the main HDD? The second is obvious – Why me again?