Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:44 am

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Forum rules

Please don't create a topic for JUST any question, look for an akin post/forum.
For example 'PHP scripts' or webinterface issues will be best posted under 'Web-Interface related Forum'.
Any duplicate posts will be deleted without a reply.
This will make it easier for other users to find the solutions to their queries.

Post subject: Time machine?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:57 am 

What a fascinating forum - I've been lurking since I herself bought our x10 in January and to say that my learning curve has been ballistic would be an understatement. Thank you! You've saved my sanity, my wallet and possibly my marriage.

Having trawled the forum and the 'net exhaustively, with a peculiar problem, for the last week and to no avail, I'd like to ask a possibly silly question from the literati on here - if I may on my first post:

Here's the scenario: It seemed entirely logical to herself to want to connect the TV's speaker output to the x10 in order to use it's superior amplifier (compared to the TV) and route the resulting audio through the x10's (ruddy expensive) passive speaker duo she insisted on buying. So, being a simple soul, I simply ran a standard stereo cable from the headphone socket on the TV (I gave up trying to figure out the SPDIF fibre optic system for the time being - way above my pay grade and the x10 is output-only, like the TV (as far as I can work out)) and to the input socket on the x10.

Bingo! Excellent audio out of the box - I love this machine. Then the TV changed from playing music to showing a newsreader - and I found, to my surprise, that the lip-synching with that was showing on the TV screen was strangely squiffy. In fact there seemed to be a time lag of 5 seconds or so, meaning that you hear from the speakers what you saw the guy on screen saying a while back. Disturbingly Déjà vu .... :?

Now obviously, the x10 is doing something with the audio signal before it spits it out to those (ruddy expensive) speakers. There's a slight clue in that, if I pull the cable linking the TV to the x10, the x10's audio output continues for several seconds - a bit like a headless chicken, only in stereo - if you get my drift. I checked the cable for knots (a known cause of signal lag, natch') and there's nothing I can find in the x10's menu system that addresses the issue - and I'm not yet desperate enough to start faffing with the Unix guts of the beast in search of a fix.

So, the question I have is what exactly IS it doing - and can I disable it in the x10 while I try to slave its amplifier from the TV?

I'm hoping somebody can help me here - I'm in definite danger of wearing one of those (ruddy expensive) speakers if I can't figure a workaround for this....... either that or I'm likely to get the wet rhubarb treatment again - which I hate. :shock: :lol:

Post subject: Re: Time machine?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:51 am 

I've also noticed a delay (it's called latency) when using the analogue-in for recording. Starting the recording results in a slight delay before it indicates it's doing so, yet on playback it appears that the recording started before it actually indicated that fact on-screen. Additionally, waiting until hearing that the piece of music had ended before pressing the stop button allowed just the start of the next track to be recorded, so it's essential to stop recording just before it seems you should: rather hit and miss.

It looks, therefore, that there is considerable buffering going on, perhaps because the analogue signal is being converted to digital - that would do it! It's then possibly being converted back to analogue for passing through the internal amplifier. So, in a nutshell, you're not going to achieve success in syncing the audio and video of your tv. This is a common problem when using different routings for audio and video now we're all digital at source.

So - you want a solution? Others may have suggestions, but I wouldn't pursue it any further. You need an amp with an analogue-in which keeps the signal in the analogue domain. You can use those active speakers sold for working with computers, or a soundbar! Good luck!

Post subject: Re: Time machine?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:52 am 

That's a very comprehensive answer, thank you! I'd hoped that it would be possible to futz with the system at a fairly superficial level, perhaps insert a line or two of code if necessary to add a facility to do what I want - but from your explanation, the problem's more deep rooted than that. I guess the x10 does what it says on the tin to a high standard - but that's all. I can hardly complain.

Forgive the apparent ignorance on my part - this stuffs's way outside my comfort zone. I'm much happier pulling servers apart or playing with Windows registry code........... :oops: