Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:33 am

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Forum rules

Please don't create a topic for JUST any question, look for an akin post/forum.
For example 'PHP scripts' or webinterface issues will be best posted under 'Web-Interface related Forum'.
Any duplicate posts will be deleted without a reply.
This will make it easier for other users to find the solutions to their queries.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:38 am 

It all seems to point to that. Before buying a new drive, can you borrow an HDD from anywhere (perhaps you have two drives in your PC)? Put it into the X10, load a couple of songs and if they play fine then your current HDD is definitely at fault.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:27 am 

dortmunder wrote:
It all seems to point to that. Before buying a new drive, can you borrow an HDD from anywhere (perhaps you have two drives in your PC)? Put it into the X10, load a couple of songs and if they play fine then your current HDD is definitely at fault.

Mmmm. Not sure if that would be an option unfortunately. I will check though. Assuming it is the HDD, I don't think I can stretch to SSD, however i have seen this which looks interesting:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-500GB-Laptop-Solid-Hybrid/dp/B00B99JU5M/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=1BI6DZTSVLC07&coliid=I17H65B1MBWDB8
Have you come across these before and are they better than the standard type? The price seems reasonable.
Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:43 am 

Hi. No, I've not heard of these hybrid drives before. I can only suggest you google for reviews/opinions of them. Seagate is one of the best 'names' though so I don't foresee any problems with it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:29 pm 

dortmunder wrote:
Hi. No, I've not heard of these hybrid drives before. I can only suggest you google for reviews/opinions of them. Seagate is one of the best 'names' though so I don't foresee any problems with it.

The reviews are good to be honest. If I get one I will post a review on here.
Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 3:16 pm 

Whitehead76 wrote:
dortmunder wrote:

The reviews are good to be honest. If I get one I will post a review on here.
Cheers.

Bit of an update, which has left me more confused! I have been playing my stored (on the X10) music via DLNA directly to my AV amp, as I find the volume to be a bit low when playing the X10 directly into the amp. I have not notice ANY issues with the sound distorting as before. If it was an HDD issue, would this still not be apparent when streaming? I would have thought so, but I am far from technically-minded! Appreciate any thoughts.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:47 pm 

If you are streaming audio over the network from the X10 or any server (P.C, NAS etc) then the data is transmitted in packets with control for the flow of the data.
This is basically a two way connection and any packets that arrive corrupted or simply do not arrive at all, will be resent.
The receiving device, in this case your AV amp will then buffer the data before playing it. So this is not actually a real time connection.

Streaming from the X10 also Bypasses all of it's audio circuitry. So as you can see there are various differences with streaming which could explain why the problem has disappeared.

I once bought a Teac A-H01 Dac/Amp which I connected to the X10 Via Optical. In an attempt to improve the sound quality. The only problem was, a loud pop sound from the speakers every time a track ended. I took it back to the shop and tried another Teac A-H01 but the results were exactly the same.
This would look like it was the fault of the X10, but I had already tried it into the optical input of a Naimuniti using exactly the same cable and with no problems whatsoever. The conclusion? I still don't know, although I did suspect RFI. However I gave up on the idea and decided to wait for a better X10 (which never happened :roll: ).

The point of all this is that for a proper fault finding procedure you will have to recreate the original scratching problem and then replace each part that you can one at a time until the problem is located whether it is the HDD or cables or the X10 itself, etc etc. Even try the X10 at another location like a friends house.
You then need to put the suspected part back in so you can prove that it is 100% at fault.
There are no real short cuts with fault finding, although you can get lucky.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:06 pm 

Bertie Bacon wrote:
If you are streaming audio over the network from the X10 or any server (P.C, NAS etc) then the data is transmitted in packets with control for the flow of the data.
This is basically a two way connection and any packets that arrive corrupted or simply do not arrive at all, will be resent.
The receiving device, in this case your AV amp will then buffer the data before playing it. So this is not actually a real time connection.

Streaming from the X10 also Bypasses all of it's audio circuitry. So as you can see there are various differences with streaming which could explain why the problem has disappeared.

I once bought a Teac A-H01 Dac/Amp which I connected to the X10 Via Optical. In an attempt to improve the sound quality. The only problem was, a loud pop sound from the speakers every time a track ended. I took it back to the shop and tried another Teac A-H01 but the results were exactly the same.
This would look like it was the fault of the X10, but I had already tried it into the optical input of a Naimuniti using exactly the same cable and with no problems whatsoever. The conclusion? I still don't know, although I did suspect RFI. However I gave up on the idea and decided to wait for a better X10 (which never happened :roll: ).

The point of all this is that for a proper fault finding procedure you will have to recreate the original scratching problem and then replace each part that you can one at a time until the problem is located whether it is the HDD or cables or the X10 itself, etc etc. Even try the X10 at another location like a friends house.
You then need to put the suspected part back in so you can prove that it is 100% at fault.
There are no real short cuts with fault finding, although you can get lucky.

Thanks for the reply Bertie, that's really informative and makes a lot of sense. Also your point about the external DAC is useful to know, as I was debating getting a Cambridge Audio DAC Magic. It might be worth auditioning one before comitting to purchase in case the result is similar to the one with your Teac.
In an ideal world, I would carry on streaming to my AVR, however, the process of searching for albums is a nightmare as it is catalogued by date of rip. Plus the X10 is more than just a hard drive, so kind of defeats the point.
I am thinking that a new HDD may be my best bet, as if it doesn't turn out to be this, I will at least have a spare for when it finally conks out!
Cheers.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:52 am 

Happy to help Whitehead, and I hope you fix the problem. It's also good to see that I wasn't the only one that wanted better sound quality from the X10.
You could spend a great deal of money on a DAC but you will still have the inherent problems of the Optical connection to deal with, jitter being the main offender.

I tried outputting music from the X10 to the Naimuniti (which is a one box player,CD/DAC/AMP/etc) in three ways.
From the perspective of sound quality alone, the results are.
1. Streaming (Ethernet)
2. Digital (Optical)
3. Analogue (Audio Out)
I did try streaming via WiFi but the results were varied, as you would expect.

Interestingly playing a CD album which had been ripped in .wav format on the X10 and outputting it via Optical, did not sound as good as playing the actual CD on the Naimuniti itself.
Streaming the same .wav file from the X10 via Ethernet sounded far superior. Obviously in a completely different league, and easily beating the sound quality from playing the CD.

The bottom line is, streaming (via Ethernet) sounds way better than Optical because of how the connection works.
You are correct in saying that this just relegates the X10 to storage duty so kind of defeats the point, although I would question what the point really is.
Better sound quality or a complete one box solution ;) as it would seem these are still two separate things.

As you are currently streaming from the X10 you will find it easier to work with an app, letting you view your music by artist and album etc, assuming you have a tablet/ipad.
I'm afraid I cannot recommend any but there are lots of suggestions here http://www.cocktailaudio.co.uk/Forum/viewforum.php?f=13