Cocktail Audio™ UK Support Forum

|| www.facebook.com/CocktailAudioUK || www.cocktailaudio.co.uk || www.trustpilot.com/review/cocktailaudio.co.uk ||
It is currently Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:04 am

All times are UTC

Untitled Document

Forum rules

Please don't create a topic for JUST any question, look for an akin post/forum.
For example 'PHP scripts' or webinterface issues will be best posted under 'Web-Interface related Forum'.
Any duplicate posts will be deleted without a reply.
This will make it easier for other users to find the solutions to their queries.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:37 pm 

Hi all,

I have had my X10 for a couple of years now, and not had any major issues with it...until recently. I have noticed that on a (getting more) regular basis, when I am playing back my ripped music, on unspecific tracks and at random occasions, the sound gets distorted for a second or so. It sounds like a scratched/dirty CD or record. I know it can't be the cd quality that was ripped, as I have started to rewind back 15 secs whenever it happens, and it plays back fine at the same point. But then may return on a different track. There is no logic to when it happens, however it is spoiling my listening experience. I have the X10 connected to an Onkyo AV receiver and have tried both optical and aux connections, but the problem persists. I was going to run the X10 through a planned new external DAC to improve the sound even more, however I am reluctant to buy one now, until I can get this issue resolved.

Any help/advice is very appreciated.

SW

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:43 pm 

Very weird indeed. Ageing hard disk maybe? If you have songs stored on your PC, try playing them through the X10 for a good period of time. If there's no problem, it might be wise to buy a new drive for the X10. Get a Solid State Drive - pricier but worth it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:11 pm 

1. Run the FW again & see...
2. Try the NTFS Fix too ...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:52 pm 

dortmunder wrote:
Very weird indeed. Ageing hard disk maybe? If you have songs stored on your PC, try playing them through the X10 for a good period of time. If there's no problem, it might be wise to buy a new drive for the X10. Get a Solid State Drive - pricier but worth it.

Thanks for the advice. I would be surprised if its the HDD, as its only as old as the X10, and I haven't hammered it. Possible I suppose. I may try and play tracks from my backup external drive and see if I get the same issue. Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:55 pm 

stane wrote:
1. Run the FW again & see...
2. Try the NTFS Fix too ...

I might wait until the next FW as its hopefully imminent. Can you please expand on point 2? I am not sure what this means. Thanks for the reply.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:33 pm 

Looks like a software but could easily be the HDD too.
On point 2, setup/system/ntfs fix ...
(If it fails, try again...nothing will be lost).

Have to tested it on another speaker, ear/head phones, from a mobile to X10 etc...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:37 pm 

stane wrote:
Looks like a software but could easily be the HDD too.
On point 2, setup/system/ntfs fix ...
(If it fails, try again...nothing will be lost).

Have to tested it on another speaker, ear/head phones, from a mobile to X10 etc...

Tried the NTFS fix but kept failing. Still not sure what this does! I will try headphones too. Thanks for the advice.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 9:44 pm 

It repaires errors on the hdd, just like scandisk on windows PC.
Does it fail all the time?
How many times have you tried it?
Try again ...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:59 pm 

chammykobs wrote:
Try again ...

Hi Chammykobs et al, after much persisting I managed to get the NTFS fix to succeed, however, it has not managed to resolve the issue. I plan to spend some decent time on it thisweekend trialling with headphones and the external backup drive. Thanks for the advice.
I live in hope!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:43 am 

Whitehead76 wrote:
chammykobs wrote:
Try again ...

Hi Chammykobs et al, after much persisting I managed to get the NTFS fix to succeed, however, it has not managed to resolve the issue. I plan to spend some decent time on it thisweekend trialling with headphones and the external backup drive. Thanks for the advice.
I live in hope!

Righto, I have recently installed the latest FW, run a recovery scan and done a successful NTFS fix. The problem is still there and actually seems to have worsened. I have since, however, done an incremental backup and tried playing my music from the usb backup storage device (through the X10) and not the Music DB and everything sounds fine. The files also play fine through a computer via the usb storage device.
Am I to think that the issue is related to my 2.5" Western Digital internal drive in the X10? (As mentioned in a previous post) I have checked the connections on this and all seems to be ok.
If so, what would be my best option?
Thanks for the continued advice.